You have failed and now you must Daegu!

Monday, November 06, 2006

I just had dinner with the Kim's and I wanted to blog the experience immeadiately. The Kim's are the owners of my school and I was about three seconds away from throwing up at all times. These people scare the crap out of me. They're your typical nice Korean couple, except they always give off a vibe that they're ten seconds away from pulling my heart out of my chest should they choose to.

What happened was I volunteered to stay after to help one of my speech students. They knew I was sick, but I told them I could tough it out and help this kid. He's a sweet kid and he actually wants to improve his English skills. I'd work with this kid for days in a hospital bed before taking on a class of monsters while fully healthy. Either way, once I finished, they invited me out for dinner. We had Korean food, beef with some vegetables and tofu soup. Good stuff. The atomic level spice of Korean food is helping to clear my horribly packed sinuses. I kept waiting for them to drop the hammer on me. Something along the lines of, "Matt, you have committed the following atrocities..." and then me making the George Karl face(picture confusion+indegestion) while they tell me that my services will no longer be needed. Well, actuallyy I know I'm not the best teacher, but I'm sure I'm not the worst one here, that's for sure. The hammer never came and I was even invited to Mr. Kim's 60th birthday on Saturday. The hammer is sure to fall there. It will be part of the festivities. 12pm hors d'ouvers, 12:30 Matt's beheading, 12:35 cake.

Mondays are bad days. It's as simple as that. I had two classes of monsters, two that were good and one that was indifferent. I'm still reeling from last Friday.

I may have made an error. I have two girls who WILL NOT STAY SEATED. NO MATTER WHAT. They left for the bathroom/water/whatever and I locked the door behind them and taught everyone else. It went well. Then I let the girls back in and they totally lost their shit. Oh well. Maybe they'll learn. Probably not.

I also had four boys decide to spend the first half of class in the computer lab goofing off. They showed up and tried to offer a lame excuse, but I'm not as dumb as I look. The more innocent the face, the more guilty the kid. Four innocent faces= I'm being had. They were instructed to go to Mrs. Kim and confess what they had done. They begged and pleaded for at least five minutes and I gave way. If they're not on time for the next class, I do the same thing, except I march them to Mrs. Kim myself.

I really find myself wondering why some of these kids are even here. They don't want to be here and just make life difficult for everyone. Their parents would be better off flushing their money down the toilet. My last class was more interested in screaming, but only when I asked someone to read. It was maddening. It was also a review class and they threw a new kid in there. Why? Give the kid a week off and let him join with a fresh book instead of the day of a review. Thanks Mrs. Kim. The kid probably thinks we're morons now.

http://sports-att.espn.go.com/nfl/photos?photoId=1351048&gameId=261105003

Link of the day.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/spring_training/tentative.jsp?c_id=cws&year=2007

Link of the day II.

3 Comments:

Blogger Leaf said...

I never gave up on the Bears. I still won't.

They'll bounce back. Eli and the Giants beware!

7:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Kim's may be fattening you up for organ donation.

11:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Somehow I see the Kim's as the landlady and her husband in Kung Fu Hustle. I can't get that visual out of my head.

2:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home