You have failed and now you must Daegu!

Friday, December 28, 2007

Stressful times in Daegu.

This was probably one of the least fun weeks of the past 16 months. Quick question. Who is more mature, a 27 year old white dude or a 50 something Korean woman? I've been trying to figure this one out all week.

The trouble started last Friday. We were served a bean soup-like substance for lunch. Having filled my tray with meat and rice, I slopped some of the bean dish onto my rice. Some of the older teachers at my school thought this was funny for some reason. I don't know why. I see Koreans mix their soups with rice and kimchi all the time, I do it and it turns into a gag concert. The volume and duration of their laughter was a little too loud and a little too long. I responded with, "In the US, we have a saying. Keep your eyes on your own plate." I proceeded to eat quickly and leave. I freely admit that my coworkers laughter hurt my feelings. I went about my business and didn't bother anyone for the rest of the day.

Now, two of the older teachers have decided that I hurt their feelings. I guess they felt that we were friendly enough that they could openly mock me. I guess, I disagreed. My co-teachers claim that the situation is simply "different cultures." I object to that for at least one reason. When I make a mistake here, it's "Oh! Stupid foreigner." When Koreans make a mistake, it's a "cultural difference." I never laugh at my coworkers when they do something that I view as strange, but they can laugh at me and call it a "cultural difference." I'm done with this bullshit. They can pout for the next 8 months for all I care.

Either way, the office is now one big awkward party. Not good times. I'm not apologizing. I've done nothing wrong. They hurt my feelings. I don't feel the least bit bad for what happened and it's not fair that some stupid, Korean hags with "cultural differences" want to piss in my coffee. With any luck the situation will get so bad that they'll be found hanging in their fucking closet come April.

We've reached winter break. I get to lead teacher training classes and winter camps for 3 weeks. Then I get my vacation. 28 days to go....

1 Comments:

Blogger kidlee said...

Sounds liks somebody needs a vacation BAD!!

8:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home