You have failed and now you must Daegu!

Thursday, May 10, 2007

I made a student cry for the first time in two months. I was starting to think I lost my touch. She kept chewing gum and blowing bubbles. I told her to stop and she continued. So, I popped one of the bubbles. She started bawling. I rolled my eyes and then gave myself a mental high five. I don't enjoy making children cry, but it is nice to get one for the away team on occasion.

Robert(a teacher who has been with LIKE for 3 years) is on vacation this week. I get some of his classes. Next week, I'm actually working 40 hours. Classes are fairly tame, but the fact that no one at my school cares about learning or teaching English is starting to get to me. It's frustrating as hell to know that I'm the only one who actually wants his kids to succeed. I want my classroom to be as disciplined and organized as possible and that's hard to do when the kids realize that it doesn't matter if they do any work or not. I can only do so much to punish them, it would be nice if one of the Koreans on staff would stop picking their asses for two minutes and actually give me some help. Maybe call a parent? "Hey, by the way, Ji Won was swearing in Korean instead of reading English." Maybe I'm asking too much. I can't wait until I move to Seoul. Then, my monsters will be someone else's problem. Poor bastard.

Apparently Andrew(my nemesis) was close to getting fired. He had recieved over 30 complaints, including, but not limited to, hitting a boy on his cast. Mrs. Kim was actually interviewing students and had talked to other teachers about taking over Andrew's classes. It couldn't happen to a nicer guy. I guess now the Kim's are stuck with him because if they can him, they'll lose is girlfriend, too. I guess it pays to bully your girlfriend into coming to a foreign country for a job she doesn't really want.

The White Sox are showing signs of life for the first time in weeks. I'm turning into a huge Ryan Sweeney fan. He plays hard. He has speed. He makes contact. He's not Rob Mackowiak. If he gets sent down instead of Terrero, Kenny Williams has lost his mind. Sweeney should be playing everyday with the big club, at least until Scott Podsednik gets back from injury. Let's go over the left field options again. Rob Mackowiak. Yikes. Pablo Ozuna. Yikes. Luis Terrero. Yikes, but he did homer in his first at bat. Ryan Sweeney. What do we have to lose? Maybe I'm just starved for competent outfield play, but another month of this and I'm going to buy a jersey.

I'd use this space to rip on Darin Erstad, but he's leading the team in hitting, but that's like saying you made the world's best bad movie. So, I guess he's the Hackers or Street Fighter of baseball. I'm really worried about the White Sox all of a sudden.

I'm going to try to catch Samsung Lions games in Daegu this weekend, but it looks like it will indeed rain on my parade. Wow. That line was absolutely gorktacular. The Lions are struggling. I guess they saw my White Sox hat in the stands, checked the team out on the internet and decided to emulate their approach to hitting. It's hard to win games when you score five runs in a week instead of in a game.

Apparently, Brad has been contacted by David Grelck. For those that don't know, we had to "break up" with David five years ago because he had become such a lousy friend that none of us wanted to attend his wedding. Jason has been contacted, Brad has been contacted, when do I get a fifteen page email about how much he misses me? Maybe I should be careful what I wish for.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

By actually posting his name on the internet you are taking a big risk.

you know he checks his name on google...probably a lot.

7:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fortunately nobody knows who Zardoz really is.

11:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the tabernacle knows

11:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

matt's page came up on the 4th page of my google search:

You have failed and now you must Daegu!Apparently, Brad has been contacted by David Grelck. For those that don't know, we had to "break up" with David five years ago because he had become such a ...
mattindaegu.blogspot.com/ - May 10, 2007 - Similar pages

11:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought you had finally let Gork go. This is the first mention of a gork-related incident in 8 months. This too shall pass.
Zardoz, your identity is safe with me.

7:43 AM  
Blogger Factor said...

Jiwon swearing...hahaha...my girlfriend's name is Jiwon and she teaches in Deagu. Kinda sounds like something she would do...hahaha. Is this the same person? Her name is Jiwon Kim. I'm currently deployed to freezing ass Krygistan, and if that's her and she's your co-worker, tell her I said "hi" and "I miss you!!"

Thanks in advance.

1:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home