You have failed and now you must Daegu!

Monday, January 01, 2007

Happy New Year!

This weekend was a blur. I found out on Friday that I would have four consecutive days off. Thanks for the notice guys. Thanks a lot.

I went out Friday, Saturday, Sunday and just hung out with friends and watched movies in my pajamas.

The Friday and Saturday were fairly normal. On Saturday I had a drunken Korean guy try to makeout with me. He finally stopped when I told his friends to tell him in Korean that if he tried it again I'd turn his goofy Korean haircut into a landing pad for AirMatt to land punches. He stopped and I went home because I was fairly irritated. This dude would just not stop, I'm all for a joke, but it was one big awkward party.

Two of my friends stayed out all night Saturday. When I say all night Saturday I mean that I got a phone call at 4pm the next day asking me to come rescue them at a department store because they were hungry and delirious. Both were quite a sight and one threw up on the way home.

New Years eve finally kicked off around 9:30 pm. We all got dressed up. Brian wore his interview suit, Daren looked STUNNING in a white strapless, Keddie wore a razor sharp black and white polka dot dress with fishnets and I wore my new grey(with a subtle pin) pants and a cashmere sweater. I know, I should tell this story at parties, but it was a lot of fun to get dressed up and go tear up Korea.

We started at Outback Steakhouse. Keddie lost a bet to the rest of us and had to buy us Outback. She had a hard time getting over a boy. It got to the point that the rest of us didn't want to hear his name, so if she talked about him, we got Outback. We made the bet on Friday. I said, "This is the easiest steak dinner I've ever won." Brian, Daren and I won the bet the next day. Outback taught us a painful lesson. Korean chefs don't understand how to cook a steak. I asked for medium rare and I believe my steak was still mooing. It wasn't pink so much as bloody. Brian asked for well done and recieved medium. Yikes.

We met up with Thomas and some of his friends before dinner and walked with them to "Bell Park" a few minutes before midnight. The entire city of Daegu went to see the bell. There was some kind of concert(we couldn't really see, there were too many people), then they rang it once at midnight. Everyone applauded softly, then fireworks went off ten minutes later. We tried to sing Auld Lang Syne, but only Thomas knew all the words. This was the most anti-climactic New Years' I have ever been to.

We met up at the foreigner bars and partied there for a while. Brian was pretty tanked, but he still managed to get two phone numbers. We were all impressed. I was bullied into going to a dance club around 4. It really wasn't that much fun, but they didn't make us pay a cover. Keddie bumped into one of her Korean boys and had him take us to a Korean bar for soju. I was fairly irritated with a Korean girl in our group who decided to make some anti-western comments. An exact quote was "Why would anyone want to date a western guy?" It unfolded like this...

Ohdaewoskin: Man this New Years has to be one of the funnest ever. Nothing could ruin my mood at this point.
LicenseToPout: WHY WOULD ANYONE HANG OUT WITH WESTERN GUYS!
Ohdaewoskin: what
LicenseToPout: ALL WESTERN GUYS SUCK!
Ohdaewoskin: excuse me
LicenseToPout: I AM OPENLY DECLARING THAT ALL WESTERN GUYS ARE ASSHOLES DESPITE BEING AROUND WESTERN GUYS RIGHT NOW
Ohdaewoskin: I do not appreciate your slanderous attacks nor will I condone said slanderous attacks
*LicenseToPout is clutching flowers and crying profusely, stopping only when she thinks she is not being watched*
LicenseToPout: WESTERN MEN ARE RUDE PIGS
Ohdaewoskin: I further my contention that I do not appreciate your comments and suggest that you desist in use of said comments
LicenseToPout: WESTERN MEN ARE INFERIOR TO KOREAN MEN IN EVERY POSSIBLE WAY
Ohdaewoskin: Now you're just being silly. Aren't Korean girls the ones that bleed men dry, fly into hysterics at the slightest percieved offense and just generally act like brats 99% of the time?
LicenseToPout: I do not speak-y Englishy.
*LicenseToPout has left the chat room*
IAMMRCHOI: Hey everybody! It's Mr. Choi time!


Sunday I just goofed off with Daren and Keddie. We watched some TV, ate donuts and then went to Burger King for dinner. A fun time was had by all.

New Years eve wasn't special because of the holiday, but because of who I spent it with. Daren, Keddie, Brian and Thomas are probably my closest friends here and it was a lot of fun to spend my ridiculous four day weekend with them. Even when I had Korean dudes groping me, Korean girls throwing baby fits and drunken friends calling me at 4pm in the afternoon, I still had a lot of fun. They're all very special people and are legitimately worthy of starring roles in this blog. Korea wouldn't be half the adventure its been without them.

It will be nice to fight monsters again tomorrow. Class begins at 8:50....I'm calling in sick.

Link of the day....

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/photos?photoId=1394470&gameId=261231003

The Rex Grossman face ladies and gentlemen! Complete with teammate about to puke as Rex walks off the field with a stunned look on his face.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home