You have failed and now you must Daegu!

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Last night was our end of the year party.

It started at 5pm sharp with speeches. Most were fairly dull, but the retiring vice principal put the room to sleep. His voice was monotone and fast and his speech was very, very long. He had a lot to say. I swear the other vice principal and principal were sleeping. I know I saw closed eyes. After he finished talking, we were allowed to hit the buffet. The pickings were weaker this year. The "steak" we were served was dreadful. It was hamburger meat pounded flat, overcooked and allowed to sit and cool for about 2 hours. I made it about 3 bites in before I surrendered and hit the buffet.

Then, the drinking and singing started. Thankfully, I wasn't forced to sing OR dance this year. I met the new 6th grade teacher that we hired for next year. He hated me instantly. I could just tell. I asked him his name and he spat it at me. This continues to confirm my theory that Korean dudes between 23 and 29 years old are assbags.

I didn't meet the new English teacher. I know her name though. I know exactly how the meeting is going to go. I'm dreading it. She's going to be amazed that I'm capable of doing even the most simple tasks and I am going to resist the urge to punch her in the face for her subtle racism. I can't wait.

I drank with everyone. The retiring VP stopped by more than once to raise a glass. Good times were had by all. After the party, I was invited out with my now former coworkers. Before hitting the bars, I apologized to the woman that screamed at me for giving her a dirty look for screaming. These were the first words we've spoken to each other in almost 5 months. She accepted. Whatever. I'm a decent human being and the look of surprise on her face was priceless.

We hit the bar and proceeded to destroy what felt like 50 pitchers in 3 hours. The two 20-something Korean dudes that tagged along acted like assbags. The 40-something Korean dude that tagged along was great fun. I made it home around 1 am. I called my buddy Patrick in Seoul. If I was this drunk, someone had to know about it. A good time was had by all.

I woke up at 7am with a sour stomach and a small headache. I made some tea and watched the first 30 minutes of The Karate Kid before passing out again. I woke up again at 12 and got some Mickey D's and took a shower. I felt like a human being again.

I've got 5 more months at this school before I have to decide what to do. I know I'm going to stay in Daegu, but I'm not sure where to teach. If this year goes well and the assbags lighten up, I might stay. If not, it's either moving up to middle school, taking an office job with the DMOE or get a job at a hagwon for adults and make some real cash. Decisions, decisions.

I thoroughly enjoyed this post. They were at it again last week.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved the Korean style mosh pit video.

12:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home