You have failed and now you must Daegu!

Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Last week was Spring Break here in Daegu.

My schedule was as follows...

12pm- Wake up
1230pm - First cigarette, followed by a marathon video game session finished by me hurling the controller at the screen and proceeding to drink myself stupid while screaming obscenities.
1am- Finally pass out.

I made most of that up. I just bummed around Daegu all week. I met friends, I studied and, of course, spent time with Su-jin. I also finally met some of Kyung-su's friends. Cool guys. One of them, Jae-min, spent time in the US. His accent is perfect. We ate some Korean food and downed a few beers together, a good time was had by all.

My first week back has been very pleasant. They changed all but two of the subject teachers. Myself and Mrs. Kwon are the only two holdovers from last year. After dealing with the stress of having a stupid foreigner in the room, they switched out all the subject teachers for newer, younger models. The office is a lot more pleasant now. I'm not going to say last years teachers weren't pleasant, they were, but they would only go so far when it came to attempting to communicate. If it wasn't Korean, they weren't interested. This group, is younger, more fun and generally more willing to communicate. It should be a happier semester.

The weekend was marred by a yellow dust storm. Last year, when the yellow dust hit, I came down with pneumonia. This year, I was able to stay healthy. I've been downing a ton of vitamin C to keep colds away. That plus, you know, all the booze.

On Tuesday, I got dressed like normal and tossed on my shades before leaving the apartment. I was met by grey skies and snow. I took off my sunglasses and made my way to school. The snowflakes were the size of quarters, but they melted as soon as they hit the ground.

I just completed my first successful class with my new co-teacher(Mrs. Kim, a new one), she likes to talk more than Mrs. Kwon or Mrs. Kim. There was also a brief tape recorder moment. "Matt, can you say Singapore?" "Yes, Singapore." I talked to her after class. I don't want to spend the semester repeating words for her.

I've been a busy little bee at the baseball blog. Check it out. I'm currently working on a column about the uni's in the KBO. I'd love to do a history, but I may not have the resources.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home