You have failed and now you must Daegu!

Sunday, February 17, 2008


Images from the sticker pictures Su-jin and I had made upon my return.


Pictures from last Friday. Just us hanging out at a coffee shop.

Manjiro with apples at my parents house. Apparently he had a few mis-adventures while I was away.

Quick update.

On Saturday, I had to go to a wedding. As some of you well know, I would do anything to get out of going to weddings. They're always painfully boring and usually a big awkward party. Not so in Korea.

The wedding started around 2 o'clock. I was exactly on time. The map I was given wasn't very helpful. The wedding hall was labeled as "wedding hall" without any other descriptive information. Also, I wore a tie. I had to tie it myself. This still doesn't go very well. I've had to wear a tie exactly 13 times in my life. When you multiply my number of years lived(almost 28) times days in a year and then divide 13 by that number, it equals 0.dick. One day, I will tie a tie quickly and correctly, but Saturday was not that day.

I took a picture with the bride(one of my co-teachers, Ms. Kwon) and gave her my congratulations. The wedding started shortly there after. The groom strolled out in a white tux and the bride walked down with her father. At this time I was told by my other co-teacher, Mrs. Kim, "Okay, let's go." My response was, "Go where? They're getting married right now." "Now is when we eat," she responded. I was taken to a cafeteria-like room next to the Wedding Hall. There was a large buffet laid out.

The tradition that was explained to me was as follows.

Only the family and close friends watch the wedding. Everyone else says congratulations, drops off their gift(money) and then heads to the buffet. The whole deal took 45 minutes. It was the most painless wedding I've ever been to. My thoughts immeadiately after the wedding were, "I put on a tie for this?" I was the Zwirb of this party. I was the only guy under 30 wearing a tie.

On Sunday, Su-jin and I tried a new(new to us at least) pizza restaurant. The pizza featured a chewy black rice crust. It was actually really good.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If Bong-pil can steal a car, Manjiro can have an adventure too!

5:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We need to make american weddings that simple. Seems like a much more painless affair. Sorry you had to wear a tie bro.

7:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home