You have failed and now you must Daegu!

Sunday, October 05, 2008

Greetings!

2 weeks ago, I was invited to a party for new teachers working in the Daegu public school system. Enough of my contemporaries agreed to come, so I joined them. Henry, the most honest guy on the planet, and Simon, the most polite guy on the planet, both turned up. Henry is brutally honest and he doesn't like anyone. He has no use for others. I've got to respect that and he's from Chicago. Simon is English. I've seen what it takes to get under his collar. He's a better man than I. My good buddy Heath is now working in a high school in Daegu. He turned up with his Australian buddy, Stuart. A good time was had by all. I even won the raffle, but I erm, forgot the prize at the restaurant. Oh well.

After the party, we headed down town to get some dinner. This was the last time I have felt like a human being until present. We got terribly ripped, then I woke up with a hangover. Then I felt a cold coming on. It turns out it was bronchitis and I was fighting it all week long. Since I was sick, unable to move or speak and at home, I watched the last two regular season White Sox games. They showed more heart in those two games than they did all season. I've made two trips to Dr. Cho. I get the impression he's keeping me sick so I keep coming back to practice English with him. I think he's switching the real meds with the fake so I can stay just healthy enough to be alive and useful. If I die, he's lost his free English lessons.

I'm still on the mend. I can't shake this sore throat, but I can function and speak. Not speaking was scary. I couldn't muster more than a whisper. I was worried it wouldn't come back.

On to better news. Kyeong-su introduced me to his family. They wanted to say thank you for inviting him to our home in Chicago. I met everyone. Mother, father, brother, sister, brother's wife and nephew. They taught the nephew how "cheers" with his grandfather, but "one shot," was too difficult. He's not really speaking yet. Just mom, dad and "네." He has a great family. He looks a lot like his brother. His sister, thankfully, does not.

I've been hearing rumors of a KNFL. A Korean National Football League. I've found team pages, but I can't locate the league page. In Daegu, our team is called the "Daegu Pheonix." Seoul has the coolest logo and nickname. The Seoul Vikings, but with a real Viking as the logo. I'm a little jealous. I really want to attend a game here. I've found schedule info, but nothing about a venue. More research is needed.

I still feel awful. Go White Sox.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home