You have failed and now you must Daegu!

Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Tonight was my last official duty as an English teacher at Wa ryong Elementary School tonight. I had to go to a Dinner/Meeting for the English camp teachers. It was Korean style sushi. Before I continue with this update, I have to mention that I am on medication for my guts. I've had a problem with my guts for a while and finally had a chance to have it looked at by a doctor. The neighborhood doc, Dr. Cho, specialized in gastro-intestinal disorders and his English is more than adequate. You should have seen the look on his face when I told him my guts were hurting. I thought he would leap up and shake my hand. Either way, he's given me meds for a few days to return things to normal. The catch is, no dairy and no alcohol for 3 days. I couldn't drink at this meeting. The principal kept needling me. "Matthew, hui(fish) is delicious with soju." "This isn't wine. It's juice." Yeah, thanks, it's my choice. To have snarky guts and take meds for them. Thanks again.

Either way, we had dinner for 2 hours and then discussed the English camp. Most of it was positive, especially about me. I'm sure if I showed up hung over and fell asleep the other teachers would have let someone know about it. I got positive reviews. Good. Most of the other teachers didn't. I say they were set up to fail. They were used to teaching older students and they didn't have much teaching experience anyway. It takes at least 6 months at this job to figure things out in the classroom and have confidence. Most of the teachers at English camp had only been in country for about 5 or 6 months. The only "atrocity" committed was one of the teachers falling asleep for 2 hours on the last day of camp. The man was tired. What's the problem?

Vacation is 3 days away and counting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home