You have failed and now you must Daegu!

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Sorry for the continued lack of updates. I've been painfully busy. Between a few new classes(teacher training), the same number of regular classes, more planning for my first graders and well "other," I've neglected this space.

Also, I bought my plane ticket too soon. I'm ready for a vacation now. I've been a little lazy at work. Let's just say tasks haven't been completed until seconds before their due date. In fact, they just attempted to add another class to my schedule. It was met with a "no," until we have a meeting about it tomorrow.

I caught a ballgame in Busan last weekend. Amazing experience. I've never seen a crowd that into a regular season game. Ever. They were in it from the first pitch to the last. Maybe I'm starved for a good stadium, but sitting in Busan wasn't that bad. It's worth going. Busan fans are insane. Everyone sang, everyone used newspaper for pom-poms and everyone wore orange bags on their heads.

In case you haven't heard, there's been a disagreement over the importing of American beef into Korea. There have been protests all over Korea. The biggest was a few nights ago. I saw one in downtown Daegu. There were about 4oo people in the middle of the downtown area and at least 5 dressed as cows.

The whole "mad cow," excuse is bullshit. The real issue is money, lazy Korean media and a strange dissatisfaction with a president that was elected four months ago. Korean farmers and the Korean media were the ones behind this mad cow fear. Korean farmers know that the importation of American beef will hurt their pocket books. The Korean media will do anything to sell newspapers. Mad cow was just their latest excuse for sensationalism and yellow journalism. President Lee's nickname is Bulldozer Lee. He's was well known for doing whatever it took to get laws passed and policies changed while he was the mayor of Seoul. This is the type of guy he is and they shouldn't be surprised how he's running the country.

I'm excited for my vacation in August. I'm counting the days. I'm ready for a break.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What would happen if the US stopped exporting beef to Korea? I wonder...

12:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home